Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Savor the Flavor of Eating Right: NNRH celebrates National Nutrition Month
March 1, 2016
March 1, 2016 –ELKO, NV-
Each March, the Academy encourages Americans to return to the basics of healthful eating through National Nutrition Month®. This year's theme, “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right,” is encouraging people to take time to enjoy food traditions, appreciate the pleasures, and cherish great flavors and social experiences food can add to your life.
Food is the body’s primary fuel source that helps us live and fight off illness. Food is also part of many social gatherings with family, friends, and co-workers. Below are tips to help you “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right” so that we can enjoy healthy foods and the joy they bring to our lives.
- Enjoy Food Traditions and Social Experiences. Food is part of most social gatherings. Whether it is a family dinner, special occasion, or a social gathering, food plays a central role. Family meal times promote healthier eating and improve family relationships. Enjoy the food traditions that are part of any family or social gathering.
- Appreciate Foods Pleasures and Flavors. Take time to appreciate the smells, textures, flavors, and the overall eating experience. We are so busy in today’s society that we often eat too fast and mindlessly. Try slowing down when you eat by taking one bite at a time and focus on the specific characteristics of what you are eating. Slowing down when eating is also helpful for weight management as it gives your stomach time to tell your brain you are full, often meaning less calories are consumed.
- Develop a Mindful Eating Pattern. It is just as important to know how, when, why, and where you eat as it is what you eat. Being a mindful eater can help you recharge your body and mind and leads to an overall healthier lifestyle. Many people eat in front of the TV or at their desks while they are working. This creates an environment of mindless eating. Try taking a few minutes out of your busy day to find a nice place to focus on mindful eating instead of multitasking through your meals.
- Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutrition. A registered dietitian nutritionist can educate you and guide your food choices while keeping your tastes and preferences in mind. RDNs are able to separate facts from fads and translate nutritional science into information you can use.
- Attend a Healthy Living Series Class. Expand your knowledge by attending a free “Healthy Living Series” class on the first Wednesday of every month. The class is offered at 5:30pm in the Classrooms near the Northeastern Nevada Regional Hospital cafeteria and will focus on a different nutrition topic each month. For more information, contact Courtney Nalivka, RDN at 748-2094.